Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
This module will help students to understand how a manufacturer changes its business model to provide a holistic solution to the customer, helping the customer to improve its competitiveness, rather than just engaging the sale of product. Much of the course is based around the transition from pure products to provide product service systems in basic and advanced forms.
Please read the following books before joining the class:
Chrisitan Kowalkowski & Wolfgang Ulaga. Service Strategy in Action: A Practical Guide for Growing Your B2B Service and Solution Business. March 2017. ISBN: 9780692819104.
Editors: Kohtamäki, M., Baines, T., Rabetino, R., Bigdeli, A.Z. (Eds.). (2018). Practices and Tools for Servitization -Managing Service Transition. Palgrave.
- To gain an appreciation of the role of servitization in the competitive landscape
- To create innovative value propositions by designing new service offerings and by drawing the customer journey
- To design an integrated ecosystem for services and products
- To understand the move towards a service mind-set
- To develop price strategies for services
- To manage the core processes for successful service delivery
- To manage risks and business benchmarking to identify improvement areas
Contents of Module
Lecture 1 Part 1 Introduction to the services for product firms
Based on chapter 1 of the book "Modern Industrial Services".
- Why services are important for a product firm
- Product service systems and servitization
- The journey to services
- Learning to understand complex systems
- Seven barriers stopping firms from moving to services
Lectures 2-7 Part 2 - Service design for value creation
- Customer value proposition in services
- Customer ecosystems and market segmentation
- Customer journey mapping and blueprinting
- Service selling and pricing
- Modularity in services
- Customer business processes
- Integration of IoT into customer value propositions
Lectures 8-14 Part 3 - Service delivery for value capture, Shaun West
Based on Chapter 2 of the book "Modern Industrial services".
- Organizational structure and culture
- Knowledge and information
- Products and activities
- Competitors, suppliers and partners
- Economics and finance
- Society and the environment.
- Building your own servitization roadmap (Ch3)
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Lectures, book and videos
- Group work, presentation and discussion of case studies
- Self-study of papers and analysis of business case studies
Note: individual and group work will contribute to the final exam grade.
- West S., Gaiardelli, P., & Saccani, N. (2022). Managing Industrial Services: A Cookbook for Design and Delivery. Springer. Cham. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-80511-1
- Annarelli, A., Battistella, C., & Nonino, F. (2019). The Road to Servitization. doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-12251-5
- Timothy Baines, Howard Lightfoot. Made to Serve: How Manufacturers can Compete Through Servitization and Product Service Systems. April 2013. ISBN: 978-1-118-58531-3
- Thomas Fischer, Heiko Gebauer, Elgar Fleisch Service Business Development: Strategies for Value Creation in Manufacturing Firms. March 2014. ISBN: 9781107652071
- Chrisitan Kowalkowski & Wolfgang Ulaga. Service Strategy in Action: A Practical Guide for Growing Your B2B Service and Solution Business. March 2017. ISBN: 9780692819104.