Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
In this module, students shall become acquainted with smart systems that are already or soon to be found in buildings. Those include Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS), Smart Homes, IoT-solutions, Energy Management Systems (EMS) and building security. The students will get to know the purpose, applications and functionality of these systems. In addition, they will perform hands-on experiments with some of them. Finally, some common fundamentals will be addressed, including components, protocols and communication technologies for smart building systems.
Basic knowledge about building technology and energy
Learning objectives. The students shall:
- Become acquainted with smart systems for buildings, including BACS, Smart Home, EMS and building security systems
- Understand the purpose, applications and functionality of such systems
- Learn the required fundamentals, i.e. components, protocols and communication systems for smart building systems
Acquired competencies. The students shall be able to:
- Understand and use common smart systems for buildings
- Create concepts of smart building systems for a given building
Contents of Module
- Introduction: History of (smart) buildings, definition and structure of a smart building, applications overview
- Fundamentals. Components, protocols, communication technologies (wired and wireless)
- Applications. Building Automation and Control Systems, Smart Home, Internet of Things, Energy Management Systems, building security
- Implementation. Construction process & smart systems
- Trends. Future trends in technology, applications, processes
Teaching and Learning Methods
- 3 lecture periods per week, with integrated exercise sessions and hands-on experiments
- Teaching: Frontal teaching and storytelling. Discussion of practical cases. Guided learning using lecture notes and textbooks
- Exercises: Solving practical problems under the guidance of the tutors (coaching)