Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
The module starts with the basics of the Physical and Data Link layers of advanced wireless systems.
Then the students will be exposed to the definition or functioning of a selection of the most important wireless standards at the present time. The focus will be on the physical layer and the medium-access layer.
Exercises will be used throughout the course to exemplify the use and application of the learnt material to compare the existing standards for a given problem in the context of the merits and limitations of each technology.
The students are expected to have knowledge on the basic modulation schemes including amplitude, frequency and phase.
They must also have studied the fundamentals of coding techniques. Other required competences that may be acquired through personal work are statistics, probabilities, wave theory, Fourier analysis and the OSI reference model.
The student will be able to
- · discriminate between the various advanced modulation, coding and transmission concepts and explain their benefits and limitations
- · explain the key characteristics of a selection of the most important wireless standards at the present time in regards to the Physical and Data Link layers
- · find specific information in the standardisation documents
select the most suitable wireless technology for a practical problem.
Contents of Module
Common Fundamentals (25%)
Applications, requirements, market and frequency spectrum issues in wireless communications. Wireless receivers and transmitters. Digital modulation and coding. Radio propagation.
Introduction to a selection of the most important standards at the time of the course (the actual technologies taught may differ somewhat fom this list) :
- · GPS
- · RFID
- · WLAN / Bluetooth
- · GSM / UMTS / LTE
- · DAB / DVB
Teaching and Learning Methods
- · Lectures
- · Work through exercises or perform simulations under supervision
- · Self-study:
- completion of exercises
- research using the standards documents, online and library resources
analysis of case studies
- · Ke-Lin Du, M.N.S. Swamy, „Wireless Communication Systems“, Cambridge, 2010
- · M. Sauter, „From GSM to LTE“, Wiley, 2011
- · Mobile & Wireless Networks and Services, Jean-Frédéric Wagen
- · Digital Communications, J. Proakis, M. Salehi, McGraw-Hill Press
- · Introduction to Communication Systems, F. G. Stremmler, Addison-Wesley
- · Information Transmission, Modulation and Noise, M. Schwarz, McGraw-Hill
- · Principles of Mobile Communication, G. Stuber, Kluwer Academic Publishers
- · Introduction to Space-Time Wireless Communications, A. Paulraj, N. Nabar, D. Gore, Cambridge Press
- · Mobilfunksysteme, C. Lüders, Vogel Verlag
- · Grundkurs Mobile Kommunikationssysteme, M. Sauter, Wieweg Verlag
- · Digitale Signalverarbeitung, D. von Grünigen, Fachbuchverlag Leipzig
- · Standards, e.g. 3GPP, IEEE 802.x, ETS 300 401, ISO-IEC_CD 18000-6C, ISO/IEC FDIS 15693-x: 2000(E),
- · Klaus Finkenzeller, RFID-Handbuch, 3. Auflage, Hanser.
- · WCDMA Requirements and Practical Design, (ed.) R. Tanner, J. Woodard, Wiley
- · J. Schiller, Mobilkommunikation, Addison-Wesley.
- · Digitale Fernsehtechnik in Theorie und Praxis; W. Fischer, 2006 Springer
- · Digital Television; W. Fischer, 2007 Springer
- · Digital Video Broadcasting; U. Reimers, 2005 Springer
Telemetrie mit GSM/SMS und GPS Einführung, J-M Zogg, Franzis Verlag