Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
Lecture on advanced topics in the domain of Cloud Computing, more precisely covering use, operations, development of and for IaaS and PaaS, as well as developing applications natively for the cloud.
Basic understanding of software and systems engineering, basic usage of Linux, communication technologies/networking.
Conceptual understanding of the principles and architectural design of IaaS and PaaS services, as well as concrete implementations/frameworks.
Ability to operate and use IaaS-frameworks. Ability to operate and use PaaS-frameworks.
Understanding of IaaS and PaaS management APIs.
Ability to design services and service-oriented applications natively for the cloud.
Ability to leverage features of the cloud, that is on-demand, self-service, elasticity, multi-tenancy, metered service, broadband network access.
Ability to evaluate the economic, legal and technological advantages of cloud as well as inherent limitations.
Contents of Module
- Definition, Origin and Motivation, Principles, Services (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and Deployment Models (Public, Private, Hybrid)
- IaaS - Successful commercial example: Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- IaaS - OSS Alternative: Kubernetes, Architecture, Services, Usage
- IaaS - Compute Virtualization - Hypervisors and Containers
- IaaS - Storage Virtualization - Basic Concepts, Block, File and Object Storage Services
- IaaS - Network Virtualization - Software Defined Networking
- Cloud Security
- PaaS - OSS Alternative: CloudFoundry, Architecture, Services, Usage
- PaaS - Continuous Deployment
- PaaS - Cloud-native Application Design Principles
- FaaS - Function as a Service / Serverless Computing
Teaching and Learning Methods
2 Lectures, 1 tutorial session per week
Self-study based on lecture material and literature (papers, books)