Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
This teaching module aims to familiarize students with smart systems that are already found or will soon be found in buildings. These include building automation and control systems (BACS), smart home, IoT solutions, energy management, and building security systems. Students will learn the purpose, functionality, and applications of these systems. They will also cover the necessary fundamentals such as system components, communication technologies and protocols.
Basic knowledge of building technology desired
Learning objectives. The students shall:
- Become acquainted with smart systems for buildings. Notably building automation and control systems (BACS), smart home, IoT solutions, energy management systems (EMS), building security
- Understand the purpose, functionality and applications of these systems
- Learn the necessary fundamentals. I.e. components, communication technologies, protocols
Acquired competencies. The students shall be able to:
- Understand, select and conceptualize smart systems for buildings
Contents of Module
- Introduction History of smart buildings, definition and structure of a smart building system, applications overview
- Fundamentals Automation of buildings, communication technologies and protocols (wired and wireless)
- Applications. Building automation and control systems BACS, smart home, internet of things IoT, energy management systems EMS, building security
- Trends Future trends: technologies, applications
- Case study
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Three lecture periods per week, with mixed practice sessions and exercises
- Teaching: frontal teaching and storytelling. Discussion of real-world examples. Guided learning with the help of lecture notes and textbooks.
- Exercises: Solving practical problems under the guidance of the lecturers (coaching)