Each module contains 3 ECTS. You choose a total of 10 modules/30 ECTS in the following module categories:
- 12-15 ECTS in technical scientific modules (TSM)
TSM modules teach profile-specific specialist skills and supplement the decentralised specialisation modules.
- 9-12 ECTS in fundamental theoretical principles modules (FTP)
FTP modules deal with theoretical fundamentals such as higher mathematics, physics, information theory, chemistry, etc. They will teach more detailed, abstract scientific knowledge and help you to bridge the gap between abstraction and application that is so important for innovation.
- 6-9 ECTS in context modules (CM)
CM modules will impart additional skills in areas such as technology management, business administration, communication, project management, patent law, contract law, etc.
In the module description (download pdf) you find the entire language information per module divided into the following categories:
Passive vibration control: dynamic isolation, impact alleviation and Tuned Mass Dampers. Dynamic response of elastomeric materials. Damping due to friction. Numerical modeling of damping in Finite Element packages. Techniques for experimental testing. Vibrations issues in high-performance machine tools.
- Linear algebra (matrices, eigenvalues, eigenvectors,…), linear differential equations.
- Dynamic equilibrium of mechanical systems (mass, springs, dampers, natural frequencies,…)
- Fourier transform, Frequency Response Functions
- Entry-level experience with MATLAB/Simulink and NASTRAN NX
- Consolidate theoretical knowledge on structural vibrations
- Passive solutions for vibration alleviation: dynamic isolation, Impact alleviation, Tuned Mass Dampers
- Numerical modeling by lumped masses and Finite Elements (structural damping)
- Experimental Modal Analysis
Contents of Module
- Brief theoretical review of mechanical oscillations
- Energy dissipation: viscous and hysteretic damping. Elastomeric material: information available on commercial catalogues and corresponding numerical models. Dissipation due to guideways friction
- Dynamic vibrations isolation and Tuned Mass Dampers: design guidelines and numerical modelling in Matlab/Simulink
- Damping modelling and dynamic analysis of systems with non-proportional, frequency-dependent damping (modelling in Matlab-Simulink and Siemens NASTRAN NX)
- Dynamic issues in Machine Tools. Dynamic response of a flexible structure interacting with a position-controlled loop. Mention of the interaction with the cutting process: forced response and stability
Teaching and Learning Methods
Frontal theoretical lessons with interaction. Self-developed numerical exercises in MATLAB/Simulink and Siemens Nastran NX.
Group projects under extensive teacher support, possibly with test bench design or experiments.
Lecture slides and lecture notes.